Monday, September 27, 2010

Residual Haunting

I think the earliest recollection I have of a haunting was in the house that may paternal great andfather built and it is now 104 years old in a town south of Manila, Philippines.

It happened so many times during my childhood, I did not even give it much though. Until we moved and now I'm an adult, I now realize that it was a residual haunting.

It happens during the day. I'm in our living room playing or something and the staircase is right next to the living room. I would first hear the creak of the wooden stairs like someone stepped into the landing upstairs. Then I would look up automatically and I would always see a pair of bare feet on top and then I would see the right foot lift and descend the next step but it would disappear. I saw a pair of feet to midcalf the rest of the body was cut off by the ceiling.

So often at night after everyone is upstairs in their bedroom, I would hear the clatter and the tinkling of plates, forks and spoons. I remember saying it to a hired helper as we share the same room if she can hear it to make sure I wasn't imagining it. She heard it too alright but said it was just huge rats making all the noise.

As recently as last month, I brought the nocturnal utensil-tinkling phenomenon to my Mom in conversation - we haven't lived in that house in 20 years. She said she heard it too, all the time but just ignored it. It was an old house with alot of memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment